Wednesday, July 2, 2008


So as the novice, I broke the tongue off of the Klixson tongue in my Dometic refrigerator. It would light, but go out after 30 seconds. Colin Hyde claims he warned against damaging this element on a VAP show, but I somehow missed it during the seven times I listened to every episode. anyway with out the tongue the fridge was dead. I sent up the Airstream Parts Beacon and sent out smoke signals, and a good friend came to the rescue.
Steve Klohn, AKA Byancaravaner, had just removed his Dometic from the trailer he bought as a right now unit. The ceramic burner was broken and half of it was missing, but it had the tongue. Then I realized the entire burner was a different size and configuration. Every thing was different except the part the klixson tongue was attached to. I took them apart, cleaned all the parts with lacquer thinner, and put it all back together. 

I  put it all back together as if it was going to be permanent, and swoosh, it fired right up as it was supposed to. The best part is that it has stayed lit for the past hour. Thank you Steve Klohn, your Airstream Karma is strong....

3 comments:

the byamcaravanner said...

Frank,

I'm glad I could help... a part that was useless to me has now made your priceless original Dometic functional again. Airstream Karma in action... as they say on the VAP, "Bonded by Aluminum" ...I guess maybe it's just Wally watching over his trailers.

Anonymous said...

Karma to you both, or is it Thanks? ;^ )

dc

silverhobby said...

Somewhere in a warehouse, there are probably Klixon valve parts wasting away, because no one knows what they are.