Sunday, June 29, 2008

The weekends were made for....


Here is the last of the side areas needing compounding. This area is very oxidized by salt air. It is extremely thick and feels like 100 grit sandpaper. This area will need some extra attention to bring it back.
I am going to sand it using a waterproof sandpaper made of aluminum oxide. 
320 cuts right through the granular oxide... lots of water to lubricate the paper...
600 really gets in the corners...
So here she is after sanding with 320 grit wet/ dry then 600. I was cutting corners and did not do the 400 or the 1000 grit. I went straight to the F7 after this step...

So here it is after some F7.... still needs some detailing, but close to done with the "first cut".

And now for some paying work....

John Kwasnick,  whose blog is linked on mine needs some new "J" channel. I dug down in my remnant pile of aluminum and found a sheet of 5052 Bare to use. First step was to rip some 120 mm strips,  29" long. John is some what of a smart ass, so he chose to give me millimeter measurements. No problem brother, I am up to the challenge. I threw a high angle ATB blade in the table saw and ripped it up. Next, I bent it at 46mm x 40mm x 34mm. one is 42mm in the middle measurement, deal with it....

... here you go John, five new pieces of "J" channel. 

4 comments:

John Kwasnik said...

Veerrryy nice! Looking forward to getting it installed. Now, about the metric thing; When I was talking to you about the thickness of the flooring plywood, what kind of measurement did you use? Hmm?

Smartass indeed.

Frank Yensan said...

You are so right and so precise. Thank you for the correcting.

utee94 said...

The compounding looks fabulous, Frank. Nice work.

-Marcus

alumanutz said...

That sheet metal brake looks like it needs some flames painted on it so it would match the other HF tools you took care of!!!

John.