Friday, November 9, 2007

Time flies...

Time flies when your waiting to work on your Airstream. My wife knows that in order to get certain things done around the house, she can use Anna as a leverage. We have a lot of perennial beds around our house and fall is one of the times that everything needs to be cut back and weeded out. I was told that the yard had to be put back in shape before I do anything else on Anna. I have been spending my "free" time working on the yard as much as possible. I am torn by this, because I would rather be sealing the leaking windows or ripping out the bathroom. Getting the yard cleaned up has never been so important.
A few things have happened however. I took the broken window sash to a welder local to me. Nothing talks like cash... one of the guys fixed it on his lunch break and it has been re- installed in the frame. I have also began working on the leaks above the windows. It is my theory that water is running behind the drip cap and then into the window frame. I began by picking the old putty from the behind the cap. I was hoping to just pick it out or the drip cap and replace it vulkum, however, the cap was loose after all the putty was removed. I went the next step and drilled off the drip cap completely. I am rather glad that this happened, for I could clearly see the spot where the water was going into the frame. I have begun digging out all the old putty from the top and sides of the frame. When it is all cleaned out, I will inject new vulkum into the seam, and with hope no more leaks. The drip cap will be re- installed with some buthayl tape behind it, so that too should add to no more window leaks.


A word of credit... Sharon of Lady Bug Airforums fame taught me that the gasket that hold the glass in place is very easy to install. No real force is required to install it as I thought. It just glides right into place by running a screen repair tool. The roller just pushes it right into place. One end of the tool has a grooved wheel that catches the top lip of the gasket perfectly. Wish Shron had chimed in earlier, would have saved me a lot of time.

Another thing that had distracted me from Anna was a little fishing with my Brother-in law and some friends. We didn't catch anything but a large buzz fish. You know the saying... a bad day of fishing is almost as good as a bad day of working on your Airstream. Wait that didn't sound right...

1 comment:

Rob & Zoe' Baker said...

So glad you are finding the source of the water! You're doing a great job, NEWBIE!