Sunday, November 18, 2007

They all leak...

I began my day on Friday by checking on Anna. It has been raining a lot here lately and I am always worried about leaks. I have been using blue tape as a temporary plug, but it can only hold up so long to the rain, it is only paper you know. So all the windows were dry except for the bathroom window.

The only good thing I can say about this leak, is that it is being directed into a trash can via some rags and is no longer making it to the floor. I really need to get a handle on these leaks quickly so that I can get moving on the bathroom renovations. I have been working my way around, removing drip caps and picking the old putty out of the frames. The bathroom window required that I also remove the Airstream emblem from the back.

Behind the emblem was about a 1/4" of dirt. The dirt was packed in nice and neat just like a factory worker had placed it there. one seed in the top and I would have had a flower garden up there. By removing the drip cap, I was able to clearly see where the water is going into the frame. This picture does not show it real well, but the window frame is bent around some body rivets. This occurs three times across the top of the window frame. At each one of these bends there is a gap between the body and the putty. Water is just running right in these gaps.

To add to the problem, the end cap segments also direct water right to this gap. once I get all the old putty out and inject new vulkum in, that problem will be no more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're doing it right by addressing the causes first, then treat the damage. Looking good Frank.

Rob