Tuesday, August 19, 2014

New Eng i Lend… 1 of...

We did a world wind tour of New England last week. I bet you want to read about it. I am going to make a musical recommendation as I usual do. This video has nothing to see, it is a great listen however. Substitute North Adams Mass for North Ontario and the lyrics work perfectly…



Our first destination was to meet up with Mistral Blue and Family. 


North Adams Mass. MASS MOCA. People thought our Airstreams were part of the display. I saw numerous photographers snapping away. They are rolling works of art. I really should keep track of the thumbs up I get while rolling down the road.


There is this Airstream as an installation. I can see the confusion. 





MASS MOCA is a really cool place. They took an old mill that was abandoned and turned it into an Art Museum. The people of Massachusetts did a great job of it. Wicked cool space!


The scale of the building allows for some massive sized works to be displayed.


Unlike the National Gallery in DC, you never feel you are being watched while you look at the art.


Big works abound.



I was captivated by this artist. The painting is done on see through curtain.



This guy is really OCD. He is seriously obsessed with mathematical formulas and rhythmic patterns.


That is colored pencil directly on the wall.


The entire mill complex is an art space. My favorite space was the boiler house. 



At the top of the boiler house was that Airstream installation you saw earlier.


An excellent use of a 1970's unit.


Someone drank a lot of beer to harvest all those labels.


At first I didn't like these pink things. They seemed to grow on me however.


Shiny, shiny, shiny. I am always attracted to shiny things.



North Adams Mass is a really great place. From here we went to The White Mountains. 


No one in my family had ever been to the top of Mt Washington. I was tempted to tow Anna up but we decided to take the Cog Railway instead. I must interject that the cost to ride this train is exploitive. We paid, but I think they take advantage of the visitors.


The ride starts off easy enough.




At some point the grade turns to 37.5%.




Make note of the sky. It was blue with light wispy clouds when we bought our tickets. Half way up, the clouds started getting thicker.


Those are named after dead Presidents.  The clouds are thickening up nicely now.


At the top we found a long line of people waiting to pose with the pile of rocks they call the top. I was not willing to wait our turn. 


So we posed 6" lower than the peak.


During the 45 minutes at the top a storm blew in below. There was a storm behind that rainbow. The temperature at the top went down 20 degrees in about 20 minutes and the wind picked up by about 20 mph. I am glad the train took us back down when it did.


In the next post we venture into Maine.













1 comment:

TomW said...

Kim & I rode that Cog Railway in 1998 when we tent-camped our way up the East Coast with the Mighty Burb.

Sorry to hear it's gotten pricey.

Tom