Saturday, August 14, 2010

Another Year Older


Yes, it happens that I move another year of my life in the "DONE" column this Monday. As a gift to me, Beth shuffled the kids out to their Grandparents so we could have "Date Night". She made reservations at what, until last night, was our favorite nuevo tex mex restaurant so I could have my fill of margaritas with dinner, then walk around the corner to the 8 X 10 to hear some music. As most of you that read my blog know, I listen to music all day. My tastes are very eclectic for the most part. The 8 x 10 had two acts playing that we had seen at Crawfish Festival this past June. We loved them there, but to be 5 feet from the stage for the whole show was even better. Even though I am an early to bed early to rise type guy, I found my inner Amanda Collimore and stayed up way late. It was actually easy to do since the music was INCREDIBLE!!!!
The first act to play was the Honey Island Swamp Band. These guys put on one hell of an excellent show. They played for a solid two hours with an incredible energy. The show was promoted by our local college station, so using their video clips seems like a great fit. I apologize these are not from a live show, but the music speaks for itself. Enjoy...




The Headliner was Anders Osborne. Anders is a mind boggling musician. He absolutely blew me away. Beth was commenting that she often looked at me to see standing there motionless with a completely dumb founded look on my face. The sounds that this guy can produce with his guitar are astounding. I am going to really stick my neck out here with this comment, but what the hell. Jimi Hendrix ain't got nothing on Anders. Yes, Jimi has been eclipsed. Go hear him play live and you will soon realize I am right.


This little clip shows how he can just take it to different level. That is drums, bass guitar, and Anders making all the rest. Go see him, thank me later. Oh, I might ad, some acts are best seen live. The crowd adds an element not achieved in a studio recording.

3 comments:

Steve "Dancin" Hansen said...

While I can't condone your borderline Hendrix blasphemy, I can appreciate your head over heels love of music, my friend. Sounds like you had a super birthday, great food, great music, and great company!

Frank Yensan said...

Steve, Thank you...

Steve, I know it is blasphemy, but it is true. I spent 44 years listening to Jimi. I have all his records, and have spent hundreds of hours listen, being move to a musical bliss. I must however that all the great ones will remain great even if they do not remain the greatest ever. Anders has the touch. He plays from deep inside the soul.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Frank!

Amanda, Donal and VT should be home later today after their 1st outing since Crawfish. I know she'll laugh when she gets home and reads your post. :)

How cool you guys saw Anders again! But I got a bone to pick with you my man. You know I love Anders. He can play in my band anytime. And you're spot on with your comment: "He plays from deep inside the soul." That IS indeed a rare gift, and he's got it. No question.

Obviously, Jimi had it too. And I wouldn't hesitate for a second to call them soul brothers. But here's my point (finally): In basically 5 year's time, Jimi Hendrix managed to create his musical vision without much of today's technology and became one of the most creative, influential, and enduring musicians of the 20th century. Jimi pioneered the explosive possibilities of the electric guitar (and blew our minds in the process) by combining controlled distortion, feedback, and fuzz.

Put "Are You Experienced" on the turntable again Frank and this time transport in your mind yourself and the crowd from Friday night's show. If you're good, you'll be listening to the anthems of a generation. If you're really good, you'll be standing there motionless and looking dumbfounded. ;^ )

Give Beth a big hug and kiss for me. Cool B-day present....