Wednesday, October 10, 2007

How much gas does it take?

I sat down and did the math. My math is not the fuzzy kind they use in Washington, these were hard numbers. I divided the the total miles driven by the total gallons used and came up with a hard to swallow number... 9.63 miles per gallon. That all said, I would burn about 244 gallons of gas each way to BoZeman, MT. That means it would cost me about about $671 each way if I could average paying $2.75 per gallon. This past summer we almost ran out of gas in the Black Hills. We stopped in some gas station that was charging $3.60 for the lowest grade. There was a giant log right next to the register. I had wanted to go to BoZeman this summer for the International Rally, but now I have to seriously re- think that one. Two weeks from work, $1300 for gas, $275 in rally fees, $275 for electric hook up... Think I would be better off attending a bunch of local rallies instead.
Some of my poor gas milage might be the fact that when ever I see a SOB on the road in front of me, it becomes my mission to pass them. There is some alter ego deep inside me that takes over... He drives the gas petal into the floor board, and keeps it there until I am past. As I pull along side, the real me looks over at the SOB driver and gives a friendly wave. I am sure the other driver has to wonder why I am in such a hurry to get myself up the road. I wonder if other Airstreamers suffer from this also. My tow vehicle is only a Dodge 1500 with a 318... the long 8' bed must eat up 1/3 of the horse power. I blew past some Nascar fan pulling a Prowler behind an F350 diesel like he was sitting on a church pew. The look on his face was that of a man that had just seen Dale Ernharts ghost. I smiled and gave him the casual two finger pointing wave. He waved back with one finger I think. Is this some sort of superiority complex that I have developed after buying Anna? If I ever enter into therapy I will need to bring this up.

No comments: