Friday, June 26, 2009

going to the country, gonna get away



Life is full of twists of fait. Some are small and you never notice them, but many are huge. Often when things do not go as planed it is viewed as a problem. I am slowly learning they are all golden opportunities. We are in the mist of a huge one right now. I would like to share them with you.

Ava and I towed Anna through the Appalachian mountains heading for the WBCCI International Rally in Madison Wisconsin. Looking back at the Piedmont where I live was a beautiful sight. See you in a few weeks we are off to the West. Every road sign I see, 12 West, 70 West, 31 West has a voice saying "go West young man, you West"

West Virginia is West, by God...
And so is the State of Pennsylvania. We headed to Pittsburgh to  a Cracker Barrel to meet the rest of the Caravan we are traveling with. When we got there Doug and Terry were already waiting for us and slowly other started to arrive. One of the guys to arrive was Roy. He saw the trailers and was curious. He talked to Doug and Terry about what we were doing and asked if he could camp with us for the night. He went home to get his rig.

His rig is 1964 through and through. But Roy wanted to see us have a better camping spot than the asphalt lot so he lead us off into the country.

If you have never caravanned, it is about time you try. The sights are something to behold.

Roy took us to his Mother in Laws house so we could camp on grass, have a fire, and not listen to cars whizz by all night long. The setting was very wonderful. Everyone was very blown away by the generosity of a total stranger. We had not planed on this change of venue, but it was so special. 

Thank you Roy. I owe you big time. You will always have a place to stay in Baltimore.

I will do my best to post about day two of the caravan very soon. I find it hard to squeeze the time in to do this during the day for there is just too much going on. Be patient with me please.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank, Man I wish we were with you! Keep up the good work and keep us work-bound suckers posted so we can have fun too :).

Later,
Carl and ELaine

utee94 said...

Thanks for the update, please be sure to spend more time having fun than blogging. We'll catch up with you when YOU have time.

Roy's MIL's place looks beautful!

-Marcus

nmbosa said...

Roy is very cool. Looks like a great camping spot. However, I must note that you are nowhere near "The West" yet and Wisconsin doesn't really count as west.

Steve "Dancin" Hansen said...

Keep the updates coming, Frank! I'm guessing I'm not the only one living vicariously through your adventures. Also, I'd like to start the rumor that you are picking up the slack when the VAP eases into its final full-hookup spot of retirement after 100 great shows.

Peace

Sugarfoot said...

WooHoo Roy! Just goes to show, you meet the nicest people and find all kinds of wonderful friends when you're Airstreaming.

Anonymous said...

Frank

I liked your discription of Wisconsin. It made me proud to live here. I wanted to let you know that I was able to fix my water/air pump on the 61, thanks though for the offer of the salvaged one you have.

Lee