Saturday, April 30, 2011

Post #2

All road to good intentions are paved in gold, but few take you to your intended destination. I never wrote again after day one and a week has passed since we returned home. I am human and I often fail to do the things I intend. Sorry. I also found adding photos to what I write to not work well for me either. I now intend to go back to my old ways. Hopefully, I will post more often this way.


We intended to meet Don and we did. I will tell you, the entire family was so happy to see Thunder (I just realized I might be assuming; Thunder is short for Vintage Thunder. That is the name of Don and Amanda's trailer given to her by Rich Lurh, one of her previous owners) come rolling down route 50. It was like seeing your favorite family members arriving home after too long away.


The loose plan was to attend a BBQ festival and unfortunately, the weather was not having us see that one through. Usually I can make the best of things, but it was cold, rainy, and windy. We just felt that we wanted to head South towards a promise of sun and warmth. Ironically, as I am at this juncture of writing, a very apropos song came into the shuffle of my Itunes. Maybe you might listen to it as you read on. The photos on the You Tube video are worth coming back for though....




When we got to the Chesapeake-Tunnel Bridge we were told we could not cross. The wind was so strong that they had it shut down to all trucks, camper, and travel trailers. We were turned into a parking lot to wait it out. What to do when served lemons? Squeeze limes and make margaritas is what you do silly! The looks on all the other wayward travelers faces when the chairs got whipped out and happy hour began was priceless. Fortunately for us, the wind kept up just long enough for us to finish before it dropped below so called "dangerous levels".


The waves crashing against the bridge might not convey how strong it was blowing. Fortunately it was blowing steady so I was able to steer a bit into it. I was picturing Anna going for a swim the entire time. The left lane was further from the edge, so I promptly moved over there to assure myself it would be a longer tumble once the wind won the fight.


Good bye Maryland, see ya in a week...


Not sure, but I think I might have just run a red light. I was not stopping till I was firmly on the Virginia side.


The tunnels offered a rest-bit from the wind. Oddly enough, as we reached land again the sky actually cleared. By the time we hit the campground it was a beautiful afternoon. Campground? Yes, we can highly recommend another one. First Landing State Park. This used to be known as Sea Shore State Park. Before kids, Beth and I tent camped here. The sites are almost all under the trees.


Though the sites are not very large, they are all fairly secluded from each other. The place was spotless and well kept as I find in most State Parks. With all the budget cut backs the State Parks have been hit hard. I am glad the system is adapting and keeping the experience top notch.


If you plan to come here, be warned anything over 26 feet will have a hard time fitting in a space. A 30 foot space is 30 feet total here.


Happy hour was resumed as soon as we got settled in. Fortunately happy hour was only interrupted by dinner. It resumed after dinner in Thunder.


These are those horrible candid drunken shots so favored by underaged girls at dance clubs.


They are all off kilter and have some element of blur to them. You know the type of photo I am talking about. Oh, sorry, you might use an Iphone as a camera and think all photos like this look good.


Don, you just couldn't resist could you...


As I said, the beach is right there and a beautiful beach it is. All those ship are waiting for their turn at the Port of Baltimore or Norfolk. You only see 5 in this photo, but I counted 23 that I could see with the naked eye. They are all bulk carries waiting to be loaded with American goods. I see this as a clear sign that our economy is coming back. A busy Port has a tremendous trickle down effect. Keep them boats lined up...


Did you lose your sunglasses? They might be at the lost and found glasses totem.


Time to follow that board walk back to the rig and head further South. Thanks for reading. Oh, on a parting note...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So jealous..... poor Minerva's been in the driveway for almost 2 months.

Frank Yensan said...

poor Minerva has put more nights in this year than Anna has. I think you should be feeling sorry for Anna. Her man has no immediate plans to full time. Poor poor Anna...