Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spontinaitty Baby



I need to apologize for my sever delay in posting. I began this post the night we returned from our "spontaneous weekend". A dying dishwasher, a start up business, and the dark doldrums of Winter have all gotten in my way. So with no further delay:

How far would you drive for a good sledding hill? We went all the way to Connecticut.


Someone in Connecticut didn't want us sledding on their hills. They just knew we would try and sneak across the Mason Dixon Line and come ride their hill. Even though this private golf course had a fantastic hill, I am talking world class Free Style Hill here, it was off limits. Fortunately not everywhere we went, they had their noses so far in the air.


If you have never been to Connecticut, it is very picturesque. It was also blanketed in close to 2 feet of the white stuff. Beth has been wanting to go sled ridding since the first dusting a few weeks back. A spontaneous decision was made to head North, visit the Collimores, and to get the sledding fix filled. A long weekend was here and we were off to have some fun. The entire plan went from thought to reality over night.


The best part was visiting the Collimores. They had their walks all cleared off for us. Within minutes we felt like we were home with family. We met Don and Amanda very early in our Airstream life and they have been like family ever since. A great friendship that began with a "hello."


It is winter in Maryland, but it was really much colder just a few hours North. The fire was crackling in the fireplace, the spirits were flowing, and we were so content being home. We had however, come with a mission.


Donal was more than happy to take us to his favorite hill.


Very quickly I was an eleven year old boy again. Unfortunately my 44 year old body does not bounce like it did, when at eleven, I fell off the sled going over "the real jump".


Beth never got down to my eleven year old level, but she did have a great time.


Ava, she will never go back to eleven. She is twelve going on a solid Twenty one.


She wipes out like a five year old though.


Speaking of acting five... Halle is going to be five. She swings a knock out like a twenty five year old. She is deadly with the left hook.


She is even deadly when she isn't looking at her match but at Sponge Bob instead.


Speaking of left hooks, look what Don fixed for us. Prime Rib.


It got smoked.



Then baked at 7000 degrees for a little while. Then it got eaten with zeal. We ate and drank a good deal all weekend with zeal. I am so grateful for such good friends. It is rare that I relax. Most people that know me will tell you even when I am physically at rest, I am still working a mile a minute in my head. For the entire weekend, I relaxed. What a sweet luxury it was just to be relaxed. Amanda and Don thank you for the 48 hours of peace. Donal, thank you for helping me grow the confidence to go over "the real jump". It will be a fond memory until I am a very old man.

To all my friends all over the World, thank you too. We need to see each other soon.

1 comment:

Don said...

The snow is now three feet deeper, the tequila is three times mellower, the prime rib is three pounds thicker, and the Pack is going to unleash three hours of pure hell upon the Steelers this weekend.... Please come back here with your three lovely ladies. Your couch awaits!!!